Create your RealMe login
The best place to create a login is from the service you want to use.
You'll need to provide a username and password, your contact details, and three security questions. We use your security questions if you forget your password or username to help you regain access.
Managing your login
To change your contact details or to add secret PIN or two-factor authentication (2FA), click the "login" button at the top of the page. Then, select the item you wish to change from your RealMe dashboard.
If you've accidentally set up more than one RealMe login, we can help you combine them. Call the help desk on 0800 664 774 and our help desk will assist you.
Apply for your RealMe verified
What you'll need
To apply for your verified identity you'll need a:
- RealMe login
- mobile phone for 2FA - (either a text or Google Authenticator)
- NZ passport issued after 2004, or
- NZ citizenship certificate issued after 2004.
- NZ immigration details, or
- NZ birth details
How to apply for your verified identity
- Click the "Get verified" button at the top of this page.
- Log in and enter the six digit security code from your device.
- Select "verify your identity" and agree to the terms and conditions.
- From the four options, select your application type - your passport, citizenship certificate, immigration document or birth details).
- After providing your identity information, submit your application.
- Your application number will be presented on screen and sent to you in an email and text. The email will list any other documents you need to take with you to the photo store.*
- Take your application number (and if required, other documents for scanning) to a participating photo store within 14 days to get your free photo taken.
- Your photo will be sent to Internal Affairs where your details are checked against official records.
- You'll be contacted within five working days to confirm if your identity is verified.
*If you applied using your NZ passport you may be presented with an option to download the RealMe Now app from the App Store. It allows you to take your photo and skip needing to visit a photo store. Learn more about RealMe Now.
If you're under 14
Your parent or legal guardian needs to sign a consent form and come with you to the photo store when you get your photo taken.
Good to know
- You can get your RealMe verified identity when you renew your passport. For more information, visit the passports page.
- Your verified identity is valid for five years. We'll send you a reminder when it's due for renewal.
- Your photo can be viewed in the "Your identity" section of your RealMe dashboard.
- Not sure if you're already verified? Look for a green tick next to "Your identity" in your RealMe dashboard.
Your verified address
Only New Zealand home addresses can be verified for use with RealMe. You cannot verify an overseas address, P O Box, Private Bag address, RD number, counter service or community mailbox.
If your home address is unserviced, you can use the mailing address you already have registered with NZ Post as being associated with your home address.
How to apply for your verified address
- Click on "Get verified" in the top right hand corner of this page. Login and enter the six digit security code from your device.
- In "Your address" click "Confirm my address". Agree to share your information.
- Enter your personal information and then click "Continue".
- The system will attempt to match your details to trusted online data sources. If a match is made your address will be verified immediately.
- If no match is made, NZ Post will mail a verification code to the address you selected. This will take five to seven days to arrive.
- When your code arrives go to the RealMe website and log into your RealMe verified address. Enter your code in the space provided.
Managing your RealMe verified address
To update your verified address details follow these steps:
- Click the "Get verified" button at the top of this page and log in.
- Under the "Your address" section, select "Update your address". You'll be transferred to the New Zealand Post address verification service.
- Follow steps 3 to 7 as above to enter your new address details.