Renewing or replacing your passport
To renew your passport you’ll need a RealMe login. If you don’t have one, you can create one when applying for renewal. Your login lets you save your application so you can finish it later.
When renewing your passport online, you can also apply for your RealMe verified identity.
- The same photo is used for your RealMe application and new passport, so you don't need another photo taken.
- Once your new passport is issued, your application is processed within five working days.
- The passport office will email you when your passport has been issued.
- We'll email you when we've verified your identity.
Applying for your first New Zealand passport
To apply for your first passport online you'll need:
- to be 16 years or older
- New Zealand citizenship
- a RealMe verified identity
Your RealMe photo is not used for your passport application, so you'll need to submit a separate one. Details about how to get a passport photo are available on the passport website.
It can take up to five working days from when you submit your passport application to process your RealMe verified identity. If you need a passport urgently, contact the passport office.
Use your RealMe verified identity to apply for your first passport
To apply for your passport you'll need:
- your RealMe username and password
- your mobile phone or device to receive your login security code
- a colour digital photo that was taken in the last six months. Before you start - check your photo meets the requirements.
- a referee to confirm your identity - You'll need their New Zealand passport number, name (as shown on their passport), phone number, email address (optional), and date of birth.
- a credit or debit card to pay for your new passport.